Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Starck's Prayer Book p. 15-16

"I put on my clothes; Lord Jesus, clothe me with the robe of Your righteousness.  I wash my hands; Lord Jesus, wash me with Your holy blood from all my sins.  Guard me, that I may never walk in the counsel of the ungodly, nor sin in the seat of the scornful.  For to be their friend means to be Your enemy.  If I would have the friendship of the world and would engage with the children of this age in their sinful and unholy ways, You would become my enemy.  O my God, impress on my heart the words: 'Walk before Me, and be blameless" (Genesis 17:1).  Oh, how many begin a new week, but do not live to see the end of it!  When the week is ended, they are sick or even in their graves!  Therefore, grant that I may always pursue holiness, without which no one will see You.  Make me zealous to be godly in my speech, blameless in my walk, and holy in my thoughts.  May I always be found in a state of grace and shelter in Your wounds, O Jesus.  May the grace of the Father keep me!  May the love of the Son sanctify me!  May the communion of the Holy Spirit make me fruitful in all good works!"  --from Starck's Prayer Book, Johann Starck (1680-1756)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This