Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Reading the Bible to Become a Lover of God


I saw two deer on edge of sidewalk on my walk around Standing Bear Lake today.  A bicyclist came by and one of them left.  But this one let me walk right by it.  I took the picture from about 10 yards away, but when I walked by I was only about six feet away.

Part of my meditation came from Acts 1:1:

In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach . . . .

The name Theophilus means God-lover.  How appropriate this name for the reader of God's Word, for the Scriptures enable us to get to know who God is, so that we might love him.  And, the Father's preeminent revelation of himself is in his Son, whom he sent to save the world.  As we learn about what Jesus did and taught, we learn about the triune God, and as in all relationships, it is only in getting to know someone that we can come to love him or her.  So when you read the Bible, remember it was written so that we might become Theophiluses, i.e., lovers of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This