Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A New Hymn Based on the Ninth Commandment and Lord's Day 43 of the Heidelberg Catechism

O Lord, Your Will is that I Love Your Truth

To the tune: ELLACOMBE (http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/UMH/547). Based on the ninth commandment and Lord’s Day 43 of the Heidelberg Catechism (related Westminster Shorter Catechism Q&A 76-77). Words: Bill Weber, 2010.



v. 1
O Lord, Your will is that I love
Your truth to us revealed;
to love Your Word which is the truth,
in love my heart to yield.
For Jesus is incarnate truth,
and shows us who You are.
Both grace and truth revealed in Him,
the coming morning star.

v. 2
A stubborn will rejects Your truth,
so circumcise my heart;
and give me love to follow Christ,
from Jesus ne’er depart.
His truth will set us free from sin,
so help us to abide,
to learn of Your most holy Word,
in Jesus to reside.

v. 3
O help me, Lord, to speak the truth,
avoiding all deceit.
For You are holy, just and true,
Your truth is what I seek.
The devil lies to steal and kill,
his purpose to destroy.
But Jesus shows us God triune,
to honor and enjoy.

v. 4
Help us our neighbor’s name advance,
to speak in love the truth.
Your image bearers to respect,
and not dishonor You.
Come soon, O Lord, to judge and save,
on earth Your glory fill.
For, Lord, Your name is glorious,
and bless’d Your heav’nly will.

v. 5
We praise Your name, ’tis glorious,
the name of highest worth.
You sent Your Son in grace and truth,
Your glory came to earth.
Help us, O Christ, Your name to love,
help us advance Your fame,
to bear Your image ev’rywhere,
and make Your praise our aim.

Lord's Day 43

Q & A 112

Q. What is God's will for you
in the ninth commandment?

A. God's will is that I
never give false testimony against anyone,
twist no one's words,
not gossip or slander,
nor join in condemning anyone
without a hearing or without a just cause.^1

Rather, in court and everywhere else,
I should avoid lying and deceit of every kind;
these are devices the devil himself uses,
and they would call down on me God's intense anger.^2
I should love the truth,
speak it candidly,
and openly acknowledge it.^3
And I should do what I can
to guard and advance my neighbor's good name.^4

^1 Ps. 15; Prov. 19:5; Matt. 7:1; Luke 6:37; Rom. 1:28-32
^2 Lev. 19:11-12; Prov. 12:22; 13:5; John 8:44; Rev. 21:8
^3 1 Cor. 13:6; Eph. 4:25
^4 1 Pet. 3:8-9; 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This